Vol - 29, Issue - 01
About the Journal
[This article belongs to Volume - 29, Issue - 01]
International Medical Journal
Journal ID : IMJ-12-01-2022-1191
Total View : 464

Abstract : To assess the renal function in children with sickle cell disease and to find the prevalence of micro-albuminuria in sickle cell anemia. It was a single-center, cross-sectional, descriptive study of all children aged 5-15 years with sickle cell anemia. The study population included children diagnosed with sickle cell anemia by hemoglobin electrophoresis (HPLC) having an SS pattern. All relevant demographic details like age, gender, residence were noted. Detailed clinical history of each patient and history of hospital admissions, number of hospitalization, number of blood transfusions was noted. Physical examination and anthropometry were noted. Significant proteinuria (> 1+ by dipstick) was seen in 21(33%) of study subjects. The estimated glomerular filtration rates were within normal limits in 52 (81%) of study subjects and the rest 12(19 %) study subjects had hyperfiltration (GFR > 2SD). As significant proteinuria is an early marker of impairment of kidney function in children with sickle cell disease, Proteinuria screening should be done early and should be regularly assessed so as to detect early kidney damage. There was no evidence of chronic kidney disease. There was no evidence of change in pH/Hypokalemia/ Metabolic Acidosis s/o tubular dysfunction.

Our Certificates
Certificates
Certificates
Certificates
Certificates
Certificates
Certificates
Certificates
Certificates
Certificates
Certificates
Certificates
//